The Time Warner Cable Internet servers assign your IP address automatically when you connect your computer to our cable modem. Since your IP address changes periodically, the MAC address of your Ethernet card is used to identify your computer. There are two ways to view a MAC address in Windows.
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet and then Network and Sharing Center.
- In the View your active networks selection, click Local Area Connection.
- In the Local Area Connection Status window, click Details....
- The Network Connection Details window will appear, which displays all of your current IP settings. Write down the numbers and letters across from Physical Address in the Value column. This is the MAC address of your Ethernet card.
- Select All Programs from the Start menu, scroll to Accessories, then click on the Command Prompt icon.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ipconfig/all, then press the Enter key.
- The ipconfig/all command instructs your system to display the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) configuration data Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: section of the Command Prompt window. Write down the numbers and letters beside Physical Address. This is the MAC address of your Ethernet card.
- When you are finished noting the address you may return to Windows by either clicking the close (X) button in upper right corner of the Command Prompt screen, or just type exit and press the Enter key.