San Diego On-Demand, an exciting new digital channel launched by Time Warner Cable’s San Diego division is helping non-profit organizations and local filmmakers reach new audiences. The goal of the channel is to feature video programs that highlight local people, landmarks, and issues, and make them available to all Time Warner Cable digital cable subscribers in the San Diego area. Alpha Project, I-Safe America, and the Centre City Development Corporation are just a few of many organizations who have taken advantage of this unique broadcast opportunity.
San Diego On-Demand is the only local on-demand effort of its kind in the San Diego area, and is one of 19 Time Warner Cable local on-demand channels across the United States. San Diego On-Demand allows customers to catch local programming on their schedule by tuning into digital channel 144 and using their cable remote to access on-screen titles and play their selection. The video programs, which are hosted on a server, are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to approximately 90,000 households that subscribe to digital cable in the Time Warner Cable service area. Video programs are neatly organized by category, which include Arts & Culture, Schools, Government, Health, and Good for San Diego.
Because of the unique nature of on-demand cable technology, organizations can submit videos that do not fit the standard broadcast timeframe. “We’re accepting video programs as short as three minutes, and as long as 2 hours,” says Marc Farrar, vice president of public affairs, Time Warner Cable San Diego. “Many of the programs were originally produced by non-profits to help recruit volunteers or to seek community support. San Diego On-Demand gives these community groups an opportunity to make viewers aware of their true mission and accomplishments.”
Here’s a sample of some of the programs currently available on San Diego On-Demand:
- “ENVISION San Diego,” a media effort designed to facilitate community-wide discussion on the issues of greatest importance to the region leading to meaningful reform. Topics include Regionalism, Healthcare, Creativity and Innovation, and The Future of San Diego.
- “Sam The Cooking Guy,” produced by County Television Network features Sam Zien, a local celebrity chef, who has been entertaining San Diegans for years with his television show and cooking lessons, which focus on preparing an easy, delicious, and impressive meals without taking hours to make.
- “Song Of Nyumbani,” produced by Jean Isaacs’ San Diego Dance Theater is a memorial to 12 million children orphaned by HIV/AIDS in Africa, and a celebration of Nyumbani, a small orphanage in Kenya for HIV-infected and abandoned children. The 30-minute video program features performances by the local dance company and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community choir.
Time Warner Cable is looking for the following types of video programs to include on San Diego On-Demand:
- An overview of a San Diego County non-profit organization, school, or university;
- Public forums where participants discuss issues of local importance
- Film projects and movies from San Diego filmmakers;
- Dance, theatre, and singing performances from local performing arts groups;
- Cooking and home/lifestyle shows featuring San Diego area people and celebrities;
- Public affairs programs which highlight community issues and concerns, such as the environment, homelessness, and volunteerism.
For more information about Time Warner Cable’s San Diego On-Demand channel, please visit www.twcsd.com or contact the local Public Affairs office at (858) 695-3110.
ABOUT TIME WARNER CABLE
Time Warner Cable owns and manages cable systems serving subscribers in 27 states, which include some of the most technologically advanced, best-clustered cable systems in the country with more than 75% of the Company's customers in systems of 300,000 subscribers or more. More than 800 local employees serve customers in the San Diego, Desert Cities and Barstow areas with cable television, high speed online and digital telephone services over a fiber-rich broadband network. Utilizing a fully upgraded advanced cable network and a steadfast commitment to providing consumers with choice, value and quality customer care, Time Warner Cable is an industry leader in delivering advanced products and services such as video on demand, high definition television, digital video recorders, high-speed data, wireless home networking and Digital Phone. Time Warner Cable is a subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. (NYSE: TWX).