Account and Billing FAQs

Can I have my bill sent to another address instead of the service address?

Yes, you can have your bills sent to another address.

To change your billing address, go to My Account and follow the instructions below or contact us to speak with a local customer service representative directly.

To edit your billing address through My Account:

1. Sign in to My Account with your TWC ID.

2. Go to the My Profile tab.

3. Click Edit next to your Billing Address.

4. Enter your new Billing Address.

5. Click Save.