Account and Billing FAQs

What do I do if I want to change the name on my bill?

As a result of marriage, divorce, or a legal name change, you can update your name on your account by calling 1-800-892-4357 or by visiting your local store location.

If someone other than you is assuming ownership of your account (for example, an ex-spouse/domestic partner, immediate family member or roommate), then you and that person must visit your local store location. If it is not possible for both parties to visit the local store, please call 1-800-892-4357 for guidance on how to proceed.