If you believe that you’ve been the victim of identity theft, take the following steps immediately:
- Place a fraud alert and/or freeze on your credit report. Learn more.
- File a report with the three major credit reporting agencies:
- Close any accounts that you suspect were involved in the scam. Immediately call and speak to the fraud or security department at each company. Making this a priority will ultimately reduce your liability. Follow up each call in writing, using certified mail with return receipt requested. This will enable you to prove that the companies received the letters.
- File a police report with your local agency and get a copy. Financial institutions require a copy of the police report in order to proceed with an investigation.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. You can file a complaint online and get more information on identity theft on the FTC's website.